Trash collection and recycling

By Ariel Winter

Trash collection may seem simple at first glance, but, in fact, the County has lots of rules for what may be thrown away, how, and when. Following these rules is important for keeping your property tidy, maintaining the character of our neighborhood, and preserving the environment. Here is some important information for both new and long-time residents:

  • Regular trash collection in Kemp Mill is on Monday mornings. If one of seven holidays (New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) falls on Monday, the trash is picked up on Tuesday instead. Click here to find out the dates of trash collection holidays:
  • Residents are required to remove their garbage cans from the curb after their trash is collected. If you are aware of a resident who is not doing this, you may call the County at 240-777-6410 and ask them to speak to the resident.
  • The following items should be rinsed out and placed in your blue recycling bin: aluminum foil, aluminum/steel/tin cans, glass bottles and jars, and plastic bottles with necks (such as juice bottles. Other plastic items—such as yogurt and fruit containers and caps from plastic bottles—are not accepted for recycling and should be thrown away with the rest of your trash.
  • Paper, newspaper, cardboard, and junk mail should be placed in your blue cart (but cardboard milk cartons must be thrown away with your regular trash).
  • Yard trim (such as grass and leaves) may be placed in large paper yard trim bags or a trash can with a green yard trim label on it. You can pick up yard trim labels at County libraries or order them by calling 240-777-6410.
  • Brush may also be tied into bundles up to 30 inches in diameter. Each branch should not be longer than 4 feet or thicker than 4 inches.
  • The County has a scrap metal recycling program for items such as bicycles, appliances, and grills.
  • The County will also pick up other bulk trash (such as mattresses, rugs, large toys, and furniture) up to five times per year per home.
  • You must schedule a bulk trash or scrap metal pickup either online at or by calling 240-777-6410 by 11:00 am on Friday for pickup the following Monday.
  • The County will not pick up old tires, computers, monitors, and televisions. Instead, they must be brought to the Shady Grove Solid Waste Transfer Station on 16101 Frederick Road. For hours and directions, go to or call 240-777-6410.
  • Because compact fluorescent light bulbs and fluorescent tubes contain small amounts of mercury, they (and other household hazardous waste) must be brought to the Shady Grove Solid Waste Transfer Station or to a satellite collection event. Regular bulbs can be placed in your regular trash.

For more information, go to or call 240-777-6410. You can sign up on the website for emails to notify you of trash collection holidays and hazardous waste satellite collections.


[ Back ]




(c) Copyright 2008, Kemp Mill Civic Association.  All rights reserved